The Crimes Against Children Unit handles a wide variety of child-related investigations. The continued success of the unit depends heavily on the State Police’s ability to facilitate an increase of a fully-staffed and dedicated unit to focus on crimes against children.
Since January of this year and the passage of HR 33 (Study of the Crimes Against Children Unit), here is a glimpse of what has occurred here in West Virginia as of Dec. 5:
- West Virginia State Police Crimes Against Children Unit has logged 508 criminal investigations.
- West Virginia State Police Crimes Against Children Unit has conducted 1,375 interviews, of which 457 were interviews of children related to sexual and/or physical abuse.
- West Virginia State Police Crimes Against Children Unit has logged 245 cyber tips from the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children.
- West Virginia State Police Crimes Against Children Unit’s Digital Forensics Section has logged 391 cases.
- West Virginia State Police Crimes Against Children Unit arrest 185 subject as of Dec. 1, for a total of 955 felonies and 67 misdemeanor charges.
- There are currently 4,119 registered sex offenders in the State of West Virginia. There are 808 individuals on the Child Abuse registry, of which 219 were added in 2013. From Jan. 1 to Dec. 5, there have been 11,820 registrations by the West Virginia State Police to the Sex Offender Registry and the Child Abuse Registry. This number includes Initials, Updates and Annual registrations for the Sex Offenders and Initials and Updates for the Child Abuse Offenders.
- West Virginia State Police troopers conducted a Sex Offender Compliance Project from January through October. During said project, troopers made contact with 1,809 offenders and discovered 513 violations. The only way the compliance check was able to be conducted was via grant funding.
- There have been 915 child pornography offenders identified in West Virginia during the 90-day period from Sept. 6 to Dec. 5. There are 14 active investigations on these sites which represent 0.15%.