- Board of Education — The Fayette County Board of Education will meet as follows: regular meeting — Monday, Aug. 5, BOE office, 6 p.m.
- Fayette County Commission — The Fayette County Commission will meet Wednesday, Aug. 13 — regular meeting, 9 a.m.; and Friday, Aug. 23 — regular meeting, 9 a.m. in the Fayette County Commission chambers of the Fayette County Courthouse. The meetings are open to the public.
- Revival — There will be a revival at Kaymoor Community Church Aug. 15-17 with Bro. Norman Hamm speaking nightly at 6 p.m. There also will be special singing each night. The church is located two miles from Fayetteville on Gatewood Road.
- Homecoming — Horseshoe Baptist Church will host its annual Homecoming on Sunday, Aug. 4. Pastor Wade Samples II and the congregation invite everyone to attend. Sunday school will be at 10 a.m., followed by morning worship, dinner and the afernoon service. There will be special singing during the afternoon service, and Jeremy Jones will bring the Homecoming message.
- Ames Heights VBS — Hear ye, hear ye. Your presence is requested at Ames Heights Bible Church for a royally fun time at VBS, Aug. 5 through Aug. 10, from 6 to 8 p.m. each evening. This year’s theme is Kingdom Chronicles, Standing Strong in the Battle for the Truth. For more information, call Susie at 304-574-2131.
- Believer’s Connection — LifeBridge Assembly of God, 1513 E. Main St., Oak Hill, will host a “Believer’s Connection,” through Wednesday, July 31. Servicces will be as follows: Monday — 7 p.m., Rev. Roger Williams of Abingdon, Va., guest speaker; Tuesday-Wednesday — 7 p.m., Rev. Curtis Honaker, Fayetteville, guest speaker. For more information, please call Pastor Shirlie LifeBridge A/G at 304-469-2646.
- Grief Share — The Oak Hill Gospel Tabernacle is hosting a ministry called “Grief Share” which takes place every Thursday night for 12 weeks more at 6:30 p.m. Grief Share is a special weekly seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them. The church is located at 124 Oyler Avenue, behind Rite Aid, on Main Street. For more information about the ministry, contact the church office at 304-469-3532 or contact Yvonne Pacella by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Hot Dog Sale — There will be a hot dog sale Saturday, Aug. 3 at the intersection of W.Va. 612 and the West Virginia Turnpike. For more, call Terry Kelley at 304-465-5677.
- Yard Sale/Hot Dog Sale — The Fayetteville United Methodist Women will sponsor a combined yard sale and hot dog sale on Friday, Aug. 2, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. This will be a one-day event, and 10% of the proceeds will be given to the church. The sale will be downstairs in the Fayetteville United Methodist Church on High Street in Fayetteville, next to the grade school.
- Goldeneers — The Goldeneers Senior Citizens will hold the group’s summer fundraiser on Aug. 3 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. in the O.C. Rushing Center at the Oak Hill Nazarene Church. For sale will be the group’s regular hot dogs, barbecues, beans and cornbread and lots of homemade baked goods. Also, several members will have tables of personal items for sale. Come, find good food, great bargains and enjoy the day.
- Benefit Gospel Sing — There will be a benefit gospel sing on Aug. 3 from 12 to 6 p.m. at 12490 Deepwater Mountain Road, Rt. 61, Robson, at Christian Revival Center. All singers are welcome to take part. Please call 304-469-7946 to schedule a time to sing. All proceeds from the sing will go to Covenant Promise Christian Academy, a Christian school opening Aug. 19 at the Christian Revival Center. Hot dogs, BBQ, corn dogs, nachos and cheese, tacos in a bag, popcorn, chips, soft drinks, and baked goods also will be sold to benefit the school, and there will be a flea market and silent auction. Items included for sale include quilts, primitive items, Yamaha DGx205, portable grand keyboard and many other items.
- Comer Reunion — The Comer Reunion will be held Aug. 4 at the home of Janice Comer and the late Sam Comer Sr., at 1542 Maple Ave., on Nickelville Road in Fayetteville. Come early and stay all day and enjoy good fellowship with family and friends. Bring a covered dish with your favorite recipes, as well as a lawn chair. For info, call Janice at 304-574-2039.
- FHS Class of 1973 — The Fayetteville High School Class of 1973 is looking for classmates interested in attending a 40-year reunion in the fall of 2013. Please contact one of the following if you are interested: firstname.lastname@example.org; Beverley Legg — Beverleylegg@yahoo.com; Becky Dickerson — Dickerson1928@gmail.com; Myrna Pilato — email@example.com or phone 304-574-3578.
- Local News
- Mount Hope fun
HFT announces its 2014 season
The year 2014 brings exciting new opportunities to the Historic Fayette Theater. Once again, Main Stage shows will form the core of the presentations, while special programming comprises the Second Season. These shows are designated as Second Season because they are often pre-cast and offer HFT regulars new opportunities.
Help offered for ACA enrollment
March 31 is the final deadline to apply for private health insurance coverage through the Individual Marketplace created by the Affordable Care Act.
Going to the fair
Several area students participated in last Saturday’s Fayette County Social Studies Fair at Oak Hill High School.
Local food producers highlighted
The West Virginia Food and Farm Coalition will host an exhibition of local food producers in the Beckley/southern West Virginia area March 13 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Dream Center.
Symphony, chorus spring season begins March 3
The spring season of the New River Youth Symphony & Chorus opens on Monday, March 3 at Oak Hill High School and musicians and singers are welcome to join.
Two notable Fayette County singers presented the national anthem prior to the Division 1 championship game at
the West Virginia Hometown Invitational Tournament at Midland Trail High School over the weekend.
New River Health issues enrollment challenge to schools
A group of Fayette County schools has been issued a challenge. It’s not just any ol’ school yard dare, though.
Meadow Bridge man arrested for allegedly firing gun
A Meadow Bridge man was taken to Southern Regional Jail after allegedly firing a gun outside and pointing the gun at his wife following an argument with his stepdaughter Sunday night.
Two arrested for drugs
Two men were arrested in Fayette County as part of an ongoing drug investigation, a press release from the county sheriff’s office said.
- More Local News Headlines