Michael Martin, mayor of the City of Mount Hope, was named the state’s top mayor by his peers.
Martin was named Mayor of the Year for 2013 at the West Virginia Municipal League Annual Conference held Aug. 7-9 in Charleston.
Martin was nominated for the award by members of the Mount Hope City Council.
Among the reasons given by his council for the nomination were:
- The construction of the Mount Hope Industrial Park
- The Dunloup Creek Volunteer Flood Plain Buyout of approximately 180 dwellings
- The NSP3 Spot Demolition Project which removed approximately 30 blighted structures
- A successful grant application for Streetscape Improvements, including new sidewalks, new street lighting, park benches, trash receptacles and improvements to access for the disabled
- Development of a current Comprehensive Plan for the City of Mount Hope
Martin, in addition to being a long standing member and participant with the West Virginia Municipal League for many years, has also been a member of the Central Appalachian Empowerment Zone for 18 years.